Thursday, February 9, 2017

The pains of hijabi shopping

                There was a time –maybe about 20 years ago—when appropriate hijab fashion was much harder to find. Now-a-days, hijab fashion is easily accessible to us through the internet and various boutiques, especially in and around the city of Dearborn. But, make no mistake about it; while we (hijabis) are lucky enough to have these options available, the struggle is still real at some of our favorite world popular retail clothing stores. The H&M’s, the Zara’s, the Banana Republics, all of which are my favorites, but it’s not easy finding a blouse that doesn’t require some sort layering.

 Yesterday night I couldn’t sleep —mainly because my stomach is getting bigger and it’s much harder to get comfortable. So I laid in bed and started randomly surfing through the ASOS store app on my phone. ASOS has become another one of my favorite online shops, and it has such a wide variety of clothes. As I directed towards the 70 percent off sale link, I found a number of clothing items that just made me want to cry. Why? Because they could have been, should have been, and would have been so great if they aligned with my Islamic dress code. So, I decided to take some screenshots and share with you what it’s really like to be shopping as a hijabi and some of the agony that one endures during the task.

The dreaded split:

You find a dress, and it’s got the most perfect, subtle print.


Ahh, yes…you’re already imagining to what event you will be wearing this lovely number to. 


Then you scroll to the final angle image. Here you experience the jab to your rib cage. Sorry, not sorry ASOS says. You may have found the perfect dress, except for it has a slit that, even if sewed closed, might be too tight around the legs to walk in. You’re saddened.




Don’t Turn Around: 

OR…you find this perfect dress for an occasion (i.e- a family wedding, an engagement party).  You think it’s complete as it is long sleeve, floor length, and the color isn’t so obnoxious.



Then, the model turns around, and you realize the open back that is as wide as when Moses split the sea. You start to wonder how you can make it work. You realize you can’t, you accept defeat and move on to the next.





The “I-will-probably-never-find –the-perfect-color-to-go-underneath-this-so-that-it-is-all-lined” long sleeved lace dress:

Speaks for itself.




There are many things in life we hoped were longer--like vacations, the money in our bank accounts, Obama's presidency, and for hijabis: dresses, skirts, pants and sleeves: 

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve come across dresses like this. Perfect colors, long sleeve, and then it just abruptly stops me mid-mind sentence as I notice it’s tea-length. WHYYYYYY?? And, I’m sure I’m not the only one who looks at the price and wonders if it’s reasonable enough to buy two of the same, and have a seamstress make it longer before realizing it’s not worth it and reluctantly moving on.




Culottes (about knee length or longer trousers) are super in right now. But, they also give me some anxiety because like this pair… it would have made me so much happier if they were longer.




No silver lining here... 

While there are several ways to make these items work as a hijabi, for example, wearing a matching slip underneath, or having a seamstress sew a new lining for you; truth be told it’s just an added inconvenience. You find a pretty skirt or dress and realize you can see through it like looking through the windows to your now crushed soul. It’s half-lined, and you sigh and start to argue with yourself “could I find this exact fabric at the fabric store? Is the print of the skirt really worth it? Can I not find anything like it?”




The ¾ sleeve: 

This one is one I particularly hate. For example, look at this perfectly long lined tunic. It’s not too fitted and perfectly appropriate for modest dress. Except you look at the sleeves and you instantly hate the maker of this piece for not making them longer. Would it look nice with a long-sleeve shirt under? Likely No. Move on.



Look at this lace top that would match up elegantly with a long flowing skirt, or wide leg pants. But, noooooo … to make this work, we would have to wear a longer sleeve underneath and ruin the entire illusion of the lace. My head hurts.



Can’t I just find a long white blouse that doesn’t require me to wear a long sleeve shirt underneath so that it’s not see-through?

Nope.


And, lastly, this annoying number:

I’ll let you figure out what’s wrong with it.






Tell me some of your experiences when shopping at retail stores that aren’t particularly aimed at the hijabi dress code. I look forward to reading your feedback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment