Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Getting your hijab done for occasions: Keep it simple, keep it classy.

   So for years we’ve been hearing about women getting their hair done, nails done, face done, etc. But, people, we are in 2016 and Muslim women are getting their hijabs done, too. While this has created some good businesses for some clever women who have learned the art of styling hijab, my personal take is the less flashy, the better. 

                For those of you who don’t wear the hijab, or are not quite sure what I’m talking about… here’s a little rundown: Many women seek out hijab stylists for special occasions so that they can have a different, fancier look that matches their fancy attire. While this may seem a little odd, there are several different ways one can wrap her hijab. For example, in my case, I don’t wrap my hijab one way all the time. It just depends on my outfit and which style works best with it. Likewise, with occasions, sometimes an evening gown might require something a bit more decorative. I usually don’t get my hijab done (only got it done on my wedding day)—I just prefer a fancier material like silk or chiffon-- but I do see a lot of pretty, subtle, and elegant styles that are out there. But, that’s the key in my opinion: Less is always more in this instance.

              However, I do have to admit that I have seen some scarf styles that are a bit too over the top for my liking. It's also important to keep in mind that hijab is a representation of modesty/reserve, and some styles can draw more attention than a woman who wears barely anything to an occasion.

               For instance, I have seen fringes that swing across foreheads, excessive crystal-like embroidery, and braided fabric. Come on ladies, we can do better than that! I’ve also noticed a lot of stuffing that goes into some of the styles. I know that stuffing needs to be put in place to add a little volume, but when stuffed excessively, they tend to create larger than life mountain bumps. I would prefer someone in a two piece hijab with an evening gown, rather than the outrageous bump heights. Or just ask your stylist to keep the stuffing to a minimum.

              If you want to get your hijab done, I suggest you ask the stylist to keep it simple and classy. And, what’s nice about the hijab is that it’s not like your hair where you sit in a chair and wait for the hair stylist to complete the look. If you don’t like what you see, you can easily ask for it to be fixed as it is being designed.  

               Nada Makki is one of the many hijab stylists in the Detroit Metropolitan area. Her slogan for her business is “Simple yet elegant". Here are some pictures of her work that I think are appropriate styles and could complement evening attire.













              Nada can be contacted via phone : (313) 999-9980 and e-mail: hcsbynada@yahoo.com . You can also follow her on social networks such as Instagram, Facebook and pinterest @hijabstylesbynada .

              There are many women, especially in and around Dearborn MI, who are also hijab stylists and are talented in this craft. My suggestion is to envision a style and aim to wear your hijab in a simple and elegant fashion, like those worn in the above pictures. 

              Do you get your hijab done? If so, feel free to give your hijab stylist a shout out. Let me know your thoughts in the comment section!

No comments:

Post a Comment