Monday, May 2, 2016

The long sleeve body shirt underneath the evening gown...To wear or not to wear?

              It's wedding season, and you’ve just found a dress for your cousin’s/best friend’s/sister’s/sister-in-law’s/girl you met at a grocery store’s wedding. The dress you found is a sleeveless tube top dress, and is a shade of blue. You then search endlessly trying to find the right body (long sleeve shirt) to match and wear under the dress. You finally find one. It matches perfectly, as though the body and the dress are one. Now, read very carefully to what I’m about to tell you. Grab the body shirt that you just found to match your dress… wait until nightfall… find out if one of your neighbors is having a bonfire… walk over to that bonfire…and throw your body shirt into the fire and watch it burn. Or, you can return it.

            If you haven’t already figured out, this post is likely targeted towards women who wear the hijab. I have a very love hate relationship when it comes to buying gowns and buying body shirts to go underneath them. And, many of us hijabi sisters—including me-- have probably worn a long sleeve body shirt underneath a dress to make fit the Islamic dress code at some point. But, while some people may disagree, my opinion is that this has become an epidemic. #Stopthebodyshirts2016

Let me first say that totally I understand the struggle, and how difficult it is to find dresses to fit our modest-style needs. Long maxi skirts are now see-through with a short lining as if they were made with the intention to make a hijabi’s life harder. Or, sometimes you’ll find the perfect maxi skirt or dress only to pick it up and realize it has a split that goes miles above sea level. Many long sleeve dresses may be on the upper end of our budgets and dresses that need work to add sleeves can be a long grueling and risky process. Here are some of the rules that I set for myself about wearing a body to go underneath a dress.

Rule number 1: Neckline- If my dress is a strapless/sleeveless dress, I stay away from body shirts to wear underneath.

A lot of beautiful dresses out there are sleeveless, but one way you can make it work as a hijabi is to have a seamstress make you a short jacket in the same color of your dress that you can easily find at a fabric store that is also inexpensive. With a strapless dress, it becomes very difficult to work with adding sleeves, because no matter what you do, unless your seamstress works under Zuhair Murad, your sleeves will have the “added on” look. If your dress, however, is more of a tank top dress… or even short sleeve, sometimes your seamstress can add on sleeves to the dress and give it a complete, elegant look. 

Here's some pictures of the difference a body and/jacket can make to a dress: 







Rule number 2: Color- If my dress is not black or navy blue, I usually never consider wearing a body underneath it. And, if my dress is one color, and you ever catch me wearing a body shirt that is a different color underneath … I give you permission to smack me.

In my honest opinion, there’s nothing that cheapens a look of a pretty gown more than adding a colored long sleeve body to go underneath. However, I think anyone can pull of a black or navy long sleeve body shirt underneath a black or navy dress IF and only if the dress is not strapless and has a thick tank.Black and navy are deep, darker colors that usually allow for more concentration to see where the sleeve of the dress begins. So, it’s easier to get away with.

Rule number 3: Lace- A lot of lace long sleeve dresses are out there, and they are beautiful. You can find some that are very affordable as well. I think that if you find a gown that has long sleeves that are laced or maybe even a see-through material, it is perfectly fine to wear a matching body to “line” those dresses underneath. That way, you are giving the illusion that your dress was purchased already lined, and it looks classy, elegant and most of all complete.

  





Rule number 4: Brides- I don’t think that ever, under any circumstances, should a bride wear a white/cream/ivory long sleeve body shirt underneath her strapless wedding gown. If you can find a long sleeve gown… that’s great! I’m sure you will look radiant! Or, if you find a gown that you can easily complete sleeves for, that’s great, too! But I promise you… adding a plain long sleeve body shirt to wear underneath your glamorous wedding dress will ruin the look in its entirety. When I got married (5 years ago), it was in the pre-Kate Middleton long-sleeved wedding dress era. So, my dress was strapless, and I had a seamstress make me a short jacket using the same fabric that manufactured my dress. It turned out okay…but now with all of these gowns that are on trend and long sleeve, I think it’s a great time to be a hijabi bride!! Here are some of my favorite hijabi worn wedding dresses.








So tell me, what works for you? How do you find ways to make your evening gowns fit Islamic dress codes? Are you #Teambody or #Stopbodyshirts2016 ? Post some of your pictures with or without a long sleeve body shirt underneath your evening gowns below in the comment section! And, don't forget to subscribe to my blog on the right hand side of your screen!

--M


No comments:

Post a Comment